An efficient parking facility design can help to reduce the overall size of the parking facility. Additionally, an effective functional design can also have a significant impact on a number of operational issues such as user comfort and safety.
An effective functional design accomplishes the following goals to improve pedestrian and vehicular safety:
- Minimizing internal walls to increase visibility for drivers and pedestrians while minimizing hidden areas
- Limiting interaction, and therefore potential conflicts, between drivers and pedestrians
- Decreasing ramp slopes to reduce vehicular speeds
- Installing appropriate, strategically-located signage visible to drivers and pedestrians
- Improving pedestrian traffic flow toward their desired destinations
*Federal, State, and Local codes govern most of these requirements and should be thoroughly investigated. Data presented herein should be considered guidelines only. For more specific information and assistance with implementation of these guidelines, please contact THA Consulting, Inc. via email at firstname.lastname@example.org